What Henry V is saying...

https://soundcloud.com/sarahnade881/henry-v-saint-crispins-day

This is only one of the fifteen audio recordings that I listened to or video I watched in the past five days to help me get through this soliloquy. I should have looked at the videos first but I just was listening to audio or reading it on my own for most of the time. So what did I get out of that... Nothing but a headache trying to force information that didn't relate to much that I had previously looked at in language. Maybe it was the illness that hadn't gone yet, but it was hard to read and more importantly memorize.

So instead I am going to explain what I understood about the soliloquy on the blog. He is the King therefore he must lead the troops into battle even if the odds are against them, but morale is low and if it doesn't change they will most definitely abandon the cause. But he doesn't make the battle to be about land or money... instead he makes this about a fight for honor and glory. Something like this is what these men will be forever remembered for, not only for their bravery but their loyalty to the crown. This day is something that families will make a proud mention of in their bloodlines and whoever stays will be remembered by the king and as a 'brother' (more like comrade). Now is the time for do or die, will the men stay or desert the cause. Making it a small difference if the men shall leave was effective because their will be more honor for the men who will stay and fight, because who wants to share glory with a coward.

Saint Crispin's day was that day, I guess, and the time for reckoning. This is my reckoning for this soliloquy. Putting it into the simplest terms I can explaining the extent of my understanding from pure memory. Thanks if you read this and if you have more add all you want. (Help is not unwanted.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jane Eyre Multiple Choice Questions

Groupthink

Literary Analysis: The Kite Runner