Groupthink

Today in class I was able to air some of the questions I had about the poetry readings especially for Emily Dickinson because her poem was from the most different time period. Specifically I asked about....

"An imitiation of a Light
That has so little Oil-"

*Which referred to a different time period all together when is was common to use oil lamps, whereas today we might refer to electricity as an imitation light.*

"That hurt them early - such a lapse
Could give them any Balm"

*I was very confused by this sentence but I understood the shift from recovery to the cause, how did it transition though. Michelle explained that the transition came from the healing process of this line. Balm is the scab which allows for recovery.*

"Death - is but one - and comes but once -
And only nails the eyes"

*I thought this refered to the dead whose eyes are closed at burial; however, Michelle pointed out that it may hit right between the eyes as a certain cause for all, or a common grief.*


During the period I was glad to help Alex better understand the Beat movement and decided I wanted to add a new poem to the list!!! Ready.... The Charge of the Light Brigade!

Comments

  1. Awesome analysis, I like the title "Groupthink." It reminded me of Orwell. Its cool how you took the word "Groupthink" made it the title of this post, and made it represent the exchanges you had with people in your group. Altough the real definition of group think is quite something else, these exchanges are far from group think, they are more like "self think."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jose can you explain more about the "self think"? And maybe you can clarify the definition of Group Think? You are correct that this is my exchange with my group members, so how can I make this more of a collaborative piece?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Mackenzie, self think is a term, I just randomly thought of when, I admired the awesome collaboration going on between the members of your group. It is the exact opposite to the definition of "Group Think", which according to Wikipedia, is "...a psychological phenomenon that occurs within a group of people, in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an incorrect or deviant decision-making outcome." I liked the title of this post, and I think that this "collaborative piece" is as collaborative, as "collaborative pieces" come, and it is actually an excellent example of how open source learning should be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane Eyre Multiple Choice Questions

Literary Analysis: The Kite Runner