Literary Analysis: The Kite Runner

1. In Afghanistan a wealthy son and servant grew up together as brothers (spoiler: they really were blood brothers). Amir and Hassan were very different: Amir would see the greatness in Hassan's character and he became a foil to the honesty in Hassan. Baba was Amir's father and the master his old friend Ali and his son Hassan (biologically Baba's). The main point of the story was that Amir deserted Hassan when he was attacked by some older boys, while if the roles were reversed Hassan would have sacrificed his own life for Amir. To get rid of the guilt he set up a senario where Hassan would be sent away with his father for stealing from the family... what really happened was Ali took Hassan from the torments of living with vindictive Amir. Really Amir was a coward and Baba was just as bad because of the lies told all of his life to both of the boys. And after 15 years of living in America Amir travels back to Afganistan to save Hassan's orphaned son.
2. The theme was "Zendagi migzara". In English, "Life goes on".
3. The author's tone was direct and self-loathing.

  • His word was law, and if you needed a little legal education, then those brass knuckles were just the right teaching tool. (Location 548)
  • And when a kite runner had his hands on a kite, no one could take it from him. That wasn't a rule. That was a custom. (Location 729)
  • 'later'
4. Stanzas - "Make morning into a key and throw it into the well, Go Slowly, my lovely moon, go slowly. Let the morning sun forget to rise in the east, Go slowly, my lovely moon, go slowly." These were used to express the theme that life was fleeting and Amir was wishing that the moments he had with Soraya would just last a little longer.

Foreshadowing- "By the following winter, it was only a faint scar. Which was ironic. Because that was the winter that Hassan stopped smiling." Something was going to change their way of life without a doubt and Hassan kept moving without drowning in depression later in the novel.

Stream of consciousness- "I wished Rahim Khan hadn't called me. I wished he had let me live on in my oblivion. But he had called me. And what Rahi Khan revealed to me changed things. Mad me see how my entire life, long before the winter of 1975, dating back to when that singing Hazara woman was nuring me, had been a cycle of lies, betrayals, and secrets. 

There is a ways to be good again, he'd said.

A way to end the cycle.

With a little boy. An orphan Hassan's son. Somewhere in Kabul."

There were a lot of observations ironic scenes and anaphora of what theft is for Baba and Amir.

Comments

  1. I thought we had to have three examples for each one of the five literary elements we picked out in our story, or did I just do mine wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know this is my first Literary Analysis... You tell me!!! ;)

      Delete
  2. P.S. I think your font is ever so slightly making me go cross-eyed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jane Eyre Multiple Choice Questions

Groupthink