The Poetry of the Augustans

I only looked at two major poets of the English Augustan movement: John Dryden and Alexander Pope. From the readings of "Epitaph on Sir Isaac Newton", "The Rape of the Lock", and "Marriage a-la-mode" were the poems I focused on; however the Princeton Review also suggests "Mac Flecknoe", "Absalom and Achitophel", and "Windsor Forest" for more examples of the movement.

I saw things that we have discussed in class like couplets, rhyme, and satire in iambic pentameter based on the sonnet lectures we have had in class. The difference was in these poems were based on 'human frailty', something that we have yet to really discuss in class. While our talks have covered the play No Exit, this talked more about the perceptions we have and the environment we create versus what happens after death (although they did go to hell). In the "The Rape of the Lock" the poet wrote about cutting off a noble maiden's hair, I saw this as an opportunity for the audience to realize that life can be cut off just as easily after reading multiple poems. Although the Princeton Review said, 'These poets were also likely to dress absurdly mundane plots (such as the secret cutting of a noble maiden's hair), in the outward appearance of heroic epic poetry, for comic effect'. Maybe I didn't see the humor because I am from the 21st century or because I was just to tired... But if my hair was cut off I would be so very upset and concerned about how I could every be the respectable women I was before.

So far I see may similarities to that of the Metaphysical movement, so if you have any questions about this movement I will address them quickly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jane Eyre Multiple Choice Questions

Groupthink

Literary Analysis: The Kite Runner